For those of us focused on bringing about a political revolution in Hawaii, that time has arrived.
All the essential elements are in place.
- There is a wide array of solid, qualified candidates on every island who share our values of economic, environmental and social justice. They are running strong campaigns and they can win.
- We have established a strong, state-wide, grass-roots network of citizens and like-minded organizations who are more aligned and more connected than ever before.
- The recent wins at the State Legislature prove that when our community is engaged, focused and involved in making change happen, it does indeed occur.
- People are energized and motivated.
We have an opportunity before us to change the nature of politics and government in Hawaii for decades to come.
But the candidates need our help now.
But the clock is ticking and it’s time now to step up our game. Absentee ballots are being mailed “as we speak” (which represent about 50% of the vote), and August 11th, the final day to cast your vote for the all important primary election is less than 30 days away.
The Primary Election is everything. The Republican Party is pretty much non-existent in Hawaii and consequently almost every state legislative race will be over with August 11th.
What do candidates need?
- Boots on the ground – Candidates need your help holding signs and knocking on doors. This is where your help is most needed.
- Social Media Boosts – Please “like” and “share” the candidates FaceBook postings thus helping to increase their visibility online.
- Money – Every candidate needs funding, especially at this crucial moment (between now and July 20) as they put together last minute absentee mailings and their final push toward the finish line. $20, $50, and $100 contributions – all are welcome.
Yes, the much needed political revolution in Hawaii can happen. The pieces are all in place, but to take it all the way we must work very hard for the next 3 weeks.
We must hold nothing back.
The Pono Hawaii Initiative (PHI), also needs your help. 100% of contributions received between now and July 20th will go toward direct but non-coordinated candidate support. Contributions of any amount are welcome and much needed. Donate online here: https://ponohawaiiinitiative.org/donate/
As the Executive Director for PHI, I welcome calls or emails from those of you who want to step up and help, and perhaps need more information. I am happy also to meet in person, on any island at any time.
Thank you so very much to all who have already stepped up to help. For the next few weeks, I will continue pushing as hard as is humanly possible, and I trust and hope that you will join me.
Winning means Hawaii will be a better place and our children will live in a better world.
Let’s do this.
Notes on just a few of the PHI endorsed candidates:
On Oahu, Ikaika Hussey is running for the Honolulu City Council. His singular presence on that body without exaggeration will have a significant impact for the better. Check out his really, cool website – read about his vision for Honolulu’s future.
Take a moment and watch a short introductory video by Kauai Council Candidate Felicia Cowden.
Maui candidate for the State House, Tiare Lawrence also has a short video you might enjoy watching.
NOTE: The statement above represents my personal opinion, is sent to my personal email list and written on my own time on a Saturday morning. My words, are simply my words and do not represent the official position of any organization. In addition, no candidate has approved or is even aware of this message prior to it being sent.